“The human foot is made up of an intricate network of 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles, and thousands of nerve endings. A foot that doesn’t allow for proper shock absorption may contribute to back, hip, or knee pain.”
What is a Custom Orthotic?
A custom orthotic is a device made to the shape of your foot. Our physical therapist will first evaluate and then make plaster molds of your feet which will be sent off to a specialized lab that will fabricate your custom orthotic.
What are the goals of a custom orthotic?
- stabilize the foot and hold it in an optimal position
- increase function of the foot and body
- limit motion of a painful joint
- decrease weight bearing on painful areas
- protect your foot from excessive impact and shearing forces
Reasons to get custom orthotics:
- ongoing foot, ankle, knee, hip or back pain
- flat feet (fallen arches)
- high arched feet
- stand for long periods of time at your job
- bunions, calluses and/or corns
- history for plantar fasciitis, heel pain, Achilles tendinitis
If you have one or more of these symptoms, come visit us today!